Tuesday, September 11, 2012

The 11th of September, 1910, the centenary year of my country, was a year of happiness and one of the purest recollections I shall have in my whole life.
That was a happy day for me, and a beautiful day for nature as well. The sun gave off its rays and filled my soul with happiness and thanksgiving for the Creator.
I got up early. My mother helped me put on my dress. She combed my hair. She did everything for me, but I wasn't thinking of anything. I was completely indifferent to everything, except to my soul and God...
The moment finally arrived. Two by two we made our entrance into the Chapel... We all entered the chapel with our eyes downcast, without looking at anyone. We knelt down on the kneelers which were covered with a very fine white cloth, with a white lily and a candle on each side...
While we were approaching the altar they were singing that beautiful hymn, "Happy the Soul", which I shall never forget.
It's impossible to describe what took place between my soul and Jesus. I asked him a thousand times that He would take me, and I experienced His dear voice for the first time. "Oh Jesus I love You, I adore You!" I prayed to Him for everybody. And I felt the Virgin near me. Oh, how my heart expanded! For the first I experienced a delicious peace.
St. Teresa of Jesus of the Andes from her Diaries